Tuesday 17 May 2011

For Asgard!!

Recently, well Saturday to be exact me and a friend decided to watch Thor which opened in theatres early may. There were many things I had known before going to see this movie and many that I didn't. Marvel Studios and Paramount spared no expense in promoting this film with teasers trailers and production images. It was no secret about the cast that were going to playing some of the most beloved comic book characters, Chris Hemworth as Thor, Natalie Portman as Jane Foster, Anthony Hopkins as Odin.

But to me I was most surprised with the film being released in 3D. I was excited and cautious at the same time, this being the first marvel film to be released in 3D I hoped they wouldn't get it wrong...And I’m so glad they didn't because the special FX was amazing, some of the actions sequences were designed and structured so well I could nothing but watch in awe. It was also exciting to see cameos and references made to other superheroes like Iron man and Hulk, as these films are a tie-in to the final Avengers movie.

Once I had walked out and discussed with my friend we became to point out how the film stayed true to the comic. But we also noticed how story-wise the main character learnt from his mistakes very quickly and progressed with the story which seemed... for all intents and purposes unrealistic.

What I had meant by not knowing certain things about this film before watching it, I found out when the credits began to roll. “Directed by Kenneth Branagh”.... whatttttt!!! Kenneth Branagh? the Thespian who does all the adaptations of Shakespeare plays and played Dr Frankenstein. Its a good thing I didn't know beforehand because I was able to see how someone can produce something amazing when they steppout of their comfort zone. So well done Mr Kenneth Branagh, I might even rewatch “Frankenstein” as a well done.

I'm glad really that I didn't miss out because of all the hype that was put on this project, even though I wouldn’t watch it again..well until it comes out on blu-ray, it did not disappoint and would recommend others to see this 3D marvel (ha! sorry). Now we wait for Captain America and The Avengers.

No comments:

Post a Comment